Monday, March 12, 2012

Angry words, good or bad?

This is the first posting I've made here, to which I hope I get a responding comment.  The others are more informational to any who might come by, and/or for my own amusement.  So comments, while they might be of interest, were not my goal.

However, I'm curious about something.  Some years ago I did some online dating. And I went on some dates, some successful, some not.  One thing all of these people I dated had in common, was they lacked what I quickly learned to be code phrases for, "I'm pissed at someone else and ready to take it out on you."  Among the most common was, "I don't play games."  Another thing I learned to be leery of were things like, "I have a good sense of humor."  To me it seemed like showing, not saying, was a better indicator of whether we might both agree on that.

So, time passes, I find Second Life and go there to learn to build.  After I get there I find myself enraptured by the shear wonder and creativity of this virtual world.  And, I find it a great place to explore some sides of my personality that are impractical in RL.  I've learned many things about myself in the three years I've been in SL.  Some lessons were much more fun than others.

One thing I've learned is that there are many code phrases in SL profiles.  Things like, "I don't like drama."  Which seems to translate to, "I don't like your drama, I want all the attention on me."  Or some version of "I keep SL and RL separate."  Means you are hiding something.  Which is fine, we all are.  But that's like walking around going, "I've got a secret!"

There are more, many more, such code phrases.  And countless variations on them.  But one theme to many of them, is "I am angry at someone, and I'm ready to take it out on you."

Admittedly, a good number of folks probably deserve to suffer for another, being as they have done the exact same thing to still someone else.  But is that good for one's soul?  To face everyone with a pronouncement stapled to your back that says, "I hate you, whoever you are."

I have anger issues.  Always have.  Keep them under control as much as I possibly can.  I've put angry words in my profile a couple of times, only to come back a short time later and remove them. My profile used to be even more open and approachable, but I've learned that most seem to ignore the information I put there.  And lately, mostly, I've been very disappointed with those who do seem to approach me.

So, I wonder, would it better, for their benefit, and my own of course, to put some angry words in my profile?   Things like, "I'm a bitch at times."  Or "I'm not a submissive.  I am not looking for an owner, daddy, mommy or anything similar!"  Or maybe a simple, "I'm complicated, try and fit me into a box at your peril?"

No comments:

Post a Comment