Thursday, May 23, 2013

Play Nice!

I happened to visit the Firestorm/Phoenix project page today and saw this post.


I was flabbergasted.  I'm just as frustrated as everyone else with the current state of SL.  The roll out for Server Side Baking and the viewer changes are causing more crashes per visit than I can remember having in a long time.  Not to mention some other fun bugs and just plain strange weirdness.

But what are people thinking?  The people who make third party viewers like Firestorm and Singularity, do so largely for free because they love the SL experience and the tools that allow it.  The fact SL works most of the time amazes me.  I know just enough about how this stuff works to grasp the complexity of what goes into making a virtual world come alive on my PC.

So people are spewing pointless crap at the nice people who provide us with better tools than Linden Labs?  The people who do it FOR FREE!?

Those people need a serious reality check.  I for one appreciate the work that the 3rd party developers do.  And frankly, the work that Linden Labs does.  I think LL makes some bone headed choices sometimes...  But even so, these people are pulling off a fucking miracle of technology.  And it's not by waving a magic wand.

So to those people who don't like the efforts of 3rd party developers, and Linden Labs, let me tell you something.  Be nice.  Letting developers know about bugs can be done constructively.  Be civil.  Be constructive.

Can't do that?  Then put up or shut up.  Make a better viewer.  It's open source.

No comments:

Post a Comment