Wednesday, June 18, 2014

The value of worth.

Okay, more deep thoughts here.  If you are wanting fashion, locations or shopping tips, skip this post.

If you have been in SL for a while...Well, the adult parts.  Then you have seen the BDSM types who some folks call "collectors."  These are so called dominants who seem bent on claiming as theirs as many people who identify as submissive as possible.  You have probably seen them around.  Even if you aren't into BDSM.  And each time you see them they probably have a different sub on a leash or kneeling at their feet.

For some reason there seems to be a lot more submissives in SL than there are dominants.  And some submissives want nothing so much as to be "owned."   Mostly they are the newer folks to SL, those who have been around a while tend to learn a bit about how things work and are a bit less eager to turn over control of their second lives to another.  But some, not so much.  Since there are more dominants than submissives, it's a buyers market.

A while back I had someone who is the top dog in a very large...Clan?..Of people who categorize as dominant or submissive, yet have many ranks of each, say something to me.  She said, in reference to someone who had already been assimilated into the so called clan, "You are worth twice such as they."

At first, being the shallow creature I am, I felt a squee of delight.  Someone appreciated the fact I have a well assembled aesthetically pleasing avatar.  They recognized I am a great emoter.  They understand I'm smart and can build and I'm not just here for the naughty bits.  They acknowledged that I'm desirable beyond simply having a sexy avatar.

But then I had a wave of eeeeewwww crash over me.  Maybe it is just because I was raised as an American.  But, to me, there is something fundamentally wrong with considering anyone worth more than anyone else.

Saying you want someone more than another.  That's OK.  That's actually good.  Marriage and families would be impossible without that.  Saying someone can contribute more than another in a specific circumstance, again, can't fault that.  Education, skills, abilities...We do not all have these equally.

But worth?  How do you value a person?  I find that I can not do so.

No comments:

Post a Comment